Smarter Water Grid
Water grid losses are a common and severe worldwide reality. As water grids involve energy intensive processes, these losses represent high waste levels of freshwater and energy.
As per our studies, the problem of losses in Municipal water grids can reach 83% in some parts of Portugal.
Traditionally, water supply systems have devices which set the pressure and flow locally and can monitor the water quality parameters only at the collection wells and water treatment facilities. The problem is that this process is static, and based on parameterizations done at the project phase without the capacity for dynamic evolutionary adjustment.
Water grids tend to have unsustainable maintenance costs, leading to poor maintenance actions and consequently more anomalies and leaks. Water quality, control and management, is also a major concern – safety matters have huge importance, as water quality in a distribution grid impacts the inhabitants of entire cities.
The current water management systems are not sustainable and unable to keep up with the city’s growth, nor are they able to guarantee the safety for the consumer.
In short the main problems of the water grids are:
- High waste of freshwater;
- High waste of energy;
- Unsustainable control and management of water grids;
- Lack of Control of water quality parameters and security;
- Environmental losses: freshwater waste.
THE SiTAPE SOLUTION
The SiTAPE System is an Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things platform developed to reduce water losses and energy consumption, while supplying advanced telemetry to control the water grid and ensure water quality standards. This results in efficient water grid production and management. As a by-product the installed systems produce clean energy that further reduces water grid management costs and improves sustainability.
SiTAPE System delivers a problem-solving holistic approach unlike any other solutions on the market. Our cutting-edge technology supports a set of features including:
- Flow Management: Water losses are detected and communicated to the control system, which intelligently oversees actuators to regulate water pressure and flow. They are also able to close it off completely in response to the detected anomaly. It can even reverse the flow when necessary to divert water to another section of the grid.
- Water Monitoring: The system monitors and transmits the pertinent data to the hub. This includes readings of water turbidity, pH, ORP, conductivity and free chloride concentration.
- Water Grid Control: The remote control platform,using Big Data analytics, empowers the water grid manager to make efficient, real-time and data-driven decisions.
- Electrical Power Generation: Our micro-turbines are installed in the existing pipelines and use the potential energy of the water flow to produce electricity. This can be used to power the system itself, as well as to debit the excess to the electrical power grid (representing additional potential earnings). The more irregular the orography, the more energy that can be produced.
The advantages of this method lie in harvesting the inherent potential energy that resides in all water distribution systems, which was previously lost in pressure loss chambers and pressure reducing valves. Furthermore, since several micro-turbines systems can be installed in one water grid, the entire system can be regarded as a distributed water dam, where having multiple small systems gives you a high degree of power production control. Finally, since water treatment plants require enormous amounts of energy, having a close point production system like this leads to higher power availability and reliability.
HOW DOES THE SiTAPE SYSTEM WORK?
The SiTAPE system containes a micro hydroelectric system connected to the power grid and to our server system. These turbines are installed in existing water pipelines through a standard flange type connection. The micro hydroelectric system, called the SiTAPE-PWR, is a turbine of our own design, connected to an electrical generator, with internal bypass valves and a main aperture valve, all incorporated in one body and with an integral controller.
The SiTAPE-PWR system feeds back sensor data to our servers, where the artificial intelligent algorithm (SiTAPE-EAI) takes action by sending instructions back to the SiTAPE-PWR system. These instructions are to control any pressure loss imparted by the turbine, control the aperture of the Iris valve, or alter the closed/open condition of said valve. The result is an accurate control of the water flow and pressure. We can also control the function of the turbine-generator to act as a pump to reverse the water flow back to the water storage tanks.
At Floating Particle, we support our clients from the first steps through the implementation until the follow ups. We are here to answer any questions and arrange everything that is needed for a flowing process.
As a first step we arrange a meeting with our potential client to learn about each other. We introduce our services and listen to their needs. We propose a customized solution and schedule a plan about the common work in the future.
Following our first meeting, the next step is to create the preparatory study. This service is essential to understand the current statement of the client’s facilities. In the Study of Client’s grid system we diagnose the efficiency of the operational process, such as the water collection and distribution network. As an outcome, the client receives a report with information about the efficiency levels and the KPIs. This report is our starting point to create a customized plan and prepare the solution for the installations. Also, it provides the base for comparing the KPIs which will measure the impacts of the changes.
The SiTAPE-PWR systems can be installed in series in the pipeline branch. The number of systems installed in each branch depends on the water pressure availability and pipeline length. To increase flexibility of integration with existing pipeline systems, we are currently prototyping three main models of turbine-generators, differentiated by their diameters (150mm, 300mm, 450mm) and generator output power.
The installation plan considers the customers daily operations, offering a flexible and easy implementation.
In the post-installation phase of the SiTAPE platform, we provide the following services for control and measurement.
– saas: Control and Telemetry
– saas: AI platform (SiTAPE-EAI)
– saas: Energy production (SiTAPE-PWR)
– Support service: FloatingParticle provides assistance service in the post-installation phase, accompanying the customer for as long as desired.
STRONG COMMITMENT TO QUALITY AND SECURITY
Floating Particle has a strong commitment to quality in its products and services. We carefully choose our suppliers based on quality standards and certification requirements. Safety and quality are priority from the first contact with the customer through all further follow-up phases.
Installing the SiTAPE technology is an investment worth taking. Thanks to the reduced energy waste and increased efficiency of the water grid system, the advantages will be visible very quickly.
To help our client optimize their infrastructure we offer the following benefits:
– The investment can be planned and paid in stages, giving more flexibility to the client on the implementation process
– The reduced costs and the additional potential earnings by using SiTAPE system, provides the client with a fast return of investment
POINT OF CONTACT
During our cooperation one of our dedicated project managers will be selected as your point of contact. Our colleague will be responsible for the flowing communication, the management of the process, and to answer any upcoming questions.
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact us via email or telephone.